Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Recalculating"

Wow. I just finished leading my first bible study with my family in Hercules. It was a great turnout: my dad was there, my cousin was there from Tennessee (I know, long story), a friend from church showed up, etc. I shared out of Ephesians 1:1-11, where Paul teaches that everything in the world was started by God and finds it purpose in Him. I gave the example of a GPS system, in which everything is predestined, and we just need to follow the path that has been set before us. Even if we go left when it says go right, He'll be "recalculating" our path, so that we will still head to our divinely-appointed destination.

2 comments:

  1. I realize that it flies in the face of your interpretation of the Bible but that is a pretty depressing view of life. I suppose it's a comfy scenario for those of us who are leading the so called "normal" life. But are you telling me that God is so callous as to damn people to a predestination of poverty, sickness, or a life of crime? I often feel a deep sense of pity for even those like the so called "speed freak" killers who at some point became monsters. What exactly went wrong? At some point they were innocent little boys like my 2 year old grandson until something went horribly awry. If God predetermined that then you can have him. My God? She allows free will. If something goes right or horribly wrong it's on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, thank you for commenting! This is a great way for me to get a better understanding of your theology, and a way for me to share mine. I think there may have been a bit of confusion here. Why would God damn people to a predestination of poverty, sickness, or crime? God never predetermined that. If that is the road one chooses to take, it is because of the free will that God allows us to have (I prefer to use the term "free choice"). God predetermined a life of peace, love, joy and righteousness through faith in Christ. If peace, love, joy and righteousness was the "default setting" on our spiritual GPS, why would that ever be a depressing view?

    Yes, if something goes right or wrong it's on us. I'm curious, however, on your view of grace and mercy? How does that play into your theology?

    Also, I'm wondering if we serve the same God? You mentioned "your" God as a female. Never in the Bible has God been referred to as a female. Perhaps you could share your point of view to me? Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete