Tuesday, August 28, 2012

I,Too,Have A Dream


Forty-nine years ago, a great man with an audacious dream boldly declared his sentiments: He spoke for unity and not division; peace, not war; love, not hate; content of character, not color of skin. He spoke of brotherhood of men, not destruction of fools.

Forty-nine years later, I speak of my own dream. It, too, is a dream deeply rooted in the American Dream. I have a dream that one day, students will be tested not on the information they memorized, but on the relationships they built, the projects they made. I have a dream that students will be educated holistically, not segmentally. I have a dream that teachers will be paid what they are worth, and not with the leftovers of the state. I have a dream that education will be a “discovery process,” not an “employment process.” I have a dream that students will no longer graduate with a question over their heads, but with an exclamation over their hearts; that every student will clearly know Who they are, How they are, Why they are, and What they are to do, upon graduation.

Every human being was created with a purpose, and every human being is significant. I have a dream that one day, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestant and Catholics will know that purpose, and discover the great joy of education - of drawing out – that purpose instilled in childbirth.

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry but I think what you are dreaming cannot be done without knowledge of Jesus embedded into it. Things of this can bring a temporary happiness, which vanishes before you start enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless you were to use some advances psychological tricks, but even so only Jesus can give people enlightenment, enjoyment and peace. You spent 10 years in a community college while I spend over 3 years. It certainly feels great attending a CC but you don't feel like you are going anywhere, or at least I don't.

    ReplyDelete