Friday, March 29, 2013

10 Items or Less

     I've been working for a popular retail company for six months now, and I've been enjoying it. It's definitely a job that requires a lot of time and task-orientation, which is part of why I chose to work there. I have been learning a lot about customer service, time-management, and conflict-resolution, as well as improving my people-skills on a day-to-day basis.

     I have also learned something new about communication. There are so many different ways to communicate a message. For example when I open up the "10 Items or Less" checklane, I say in a loud voice "10 Items of Less! I can help the next guest!" A lot of times, the customers do not hear me. I speak louder: "I can help the next guest over here!" Still nothing. By now, I have to move out of my lane and physically approach the guests (at our store we refer to our customers as "guests," for a more inviting atmosphere.) and individually tell them that I'm open.

     This experience has taught me the following:

     1. Raising your voice does not necessarily mean that you're improving your communication;
     sometimes you're just raising your voice. It doesn't matter how loud you speak, how bright your 
     colors are, or how great your product is. If your guest cannot hear you, you'll just be in your lane
     by yourself.

     2. If the person you want to communicate with does not or cannot hear you, you may need to
     change your strategy, stop what you're doing and do something different. In my case, I had to
     stop shouting and start approaching.

     3. When you change your strategy, sometimes you need to change your tone. When I began ap-
     proaching each guest, I no longer had to shout. Sometimes I can just gently say, "I'm open over  
     here," and other times all I need to do is make eye contact, wave, and smile. No shouting. No
     hooping, no hollering.  

     It is amazing how one simple experience of opening up a "10 Items of Less" lane can teach me so much about communication. I'm looking forward to applying what I learned at the checklane to my other areas in life.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment